Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Speed Dreams, Racer, irrlamb, Violetland

Speed Dreams (SD, formerly known as TORCS-NG) is a fork of TORCS with the aim to

implement exciting new features, cars, tracks and AI opponents to make a more enjoyable game for the player, as well as constantly improving visual and physics realism.

Now I'm not a racing game fan and so the biggest change I noticed between SD and TORCS is the menu look in which the fork really shines. See my comparison over here.

Anyways, I recorded a video. Please excuse my driving un-skills :)

Racer has been making some progress. You can now play player-vs-player (there is no way of 'winning' though) and the levels have been improved as far as I can tell. If you have some ideas to share for this sci-fi racing game in the works, please do comment on their group!

After quite a while, another version of irrlamb has been released! It takes away the old (in my opinion very original) levels and instead presents polished graphics, a friendly tutorial and two skateboard arenas.

I tried the um.. "top-down zombie shooter with rpg elements, I guess" violetland and was impressed by how much fun I had! Its simple gameplay is well-supported by the cool music. I have been playing a match of this fun action-rpg now and then.

7 comments:

Julius said...

uhh nice find there with violetland... had never heared about it before. too bad the levels are so bland looking (so far?).

qubodup said...

I like the level backgrounds, though some of them make zombies hard to see. There are definitely objects missing like walls, plants..

pds said...

Looks very similar to a game called Crimsonland. Much better just to call it a top-down shooter or a shoot 'em up rather then an "action-rpg"

Leave out the whole rpg elements thing. Just because a game has exp in it doesn't make it an rpg. It would be like calling Half-life 2 a racing game:)

qubodup said...

Yeah, I'm just too used to xp = rpg

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Be sure there will be some significant visual improvements in Speed Dreams 1.4.0 final :)

Speed Dreams 1.4.0 is the road to 2.0 which will bring much, much more.

Bart said...

Speed Dreams is now on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/Speed_Dreams

Provide feedback:

Due to SPAM issues we have disabled public commenting here.

But feel free to join our forums or easily chat via IRC with us.