Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Scourge-erific

Time flies when you're forgetting to do things, like update this blog. Damn, I make a post, have a nap, get distracted, and 6 days later I remember I was supposed to be posting again. I have umpteen drafts of half-finished opinions; games get released and I don't know about it. I need to invent an army of workers that will mine the web and report for me.



The Free Gamer forums got a facelift thanks to Qudobup, the guy also behind the look for Free Gamer. It looks really cool and since the forum supports RSS you'll see a few forum-related things going into this site in the nearish future.



Scourge 0.19 got released! Yay! No changelog on the site? Boo. Seems like binaries will eventually be available for all major platforms and will appear on Sourceforge. Despite the lack of information about this release on the site, having monitored Scourge development for a while, I can say 0.19 contains some really cool new features - outdoor environments and more storyline - and some important improvements - much better AI for route finding. It's on the cusp of being a really good game. All it needs is some slightly better artwork.




UFO2000


UFO2000 have had a major new release. Also their website got a facelift and it's probably one of the best looking FOSS game project pages you'll see. Beautiful. Somebody (fan? developer?) commented on a previous post that the community is struggling for players. UFO was (is?) a great series but it's primarily a single player game. I don't see how the multiplayer version can be quite as fun as a big part of the game was building up your team and researching new technology as you waged the war against the alien onslaught.



If the UFO2000 team could focus on a single player version I think they would see their community grow significantly, but they've got a lot of catching up to do with UFO:AI which has focused on SP from the beginning. Still, I do have a soft spot for UFO2000, having observed steady progress for many years on the project. Seeing the gameplay video on the UFO2000 site made me yearn for a single player edition. I want a game I can tackle at my own pace, y'know, multiplayer games tend to favour those who play a lot.



Battle Tanks is another multiplayer-focused game that looks great, and version 0.6 was released the other day. I'm tempted to try it, but again that multiplayer angle just doesn't appeal to me. Even if they offered a simple single player edition where you fought bots, that'd be fine. Please, let me play with myself. I mean, er, um...



I want to say more but no more time. I'll try to be more regular, perhaps doing shorter posts if I'm in a rush rather than no posting at all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Battle Tanks does have a single player mode where you can fight bots. Actually when I did try the multi player I could never get a connection going with my friend.

qubodup said...

yes, the bots are a bit boring though :)

http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net/ looks fu**ing awesome! *mouth falls to the ground*

LXj said...

Whoa, full articles in RSS! Now I will read Free Gamer more carefully

Anonymous said...

A fan of game Charlie, and of your blog :) About SP in UFO2000 i think it can be in near future. In new beta there is geoscape demo so maybe they make a SP client in game or better, a 2 player campaign? it would be great!
Game got really great multiplayer so people around the world try it, i am sure you wont be disappointed.
Regards,

Anonymous said...

Please, yes, do play less with yourself and post more often :).

The Sports Satirist said...

Interesting stuff. Tanks are deadly.

Overwhelming said...

I would give UFO2000 a try, if it had a single-player mode. I don't play multiplayer game.

Provide feedback:

Due to SPAM issues we have disabled public commenting here.

But feel free to join our forums or easily chat via IRC with us.