Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Silver Lining Demo

There is a demo of The Silver Lining (formely known as King's Quest IX) available for download!



For those who don't know, King's Quest is a long running series from Sierra. Back in the good old days of 16 colours, this game combined the best possible graphics, fantastic landscapes, puzzles, and great stories. In fact, I don't think I enjoyed many adventure games more than King's Quest V. (Then again I stopped buying games after that.)



There's a good overview of the King's Quest series on everybody's favourite resource. There's a quick overview & screenshots of each of the KQ titles on vintage-sierra.com. There's also freeware VGA remakes of KQ1 and KQ2 availabe from ADG Interactive.



Enough background information... onto the game in question.




The Silver Lining


The Silver Lining is a 3D adventure game with breathtaking scenery and superbly animated characters. It is a fan-made game so it should combine, refine, and outshine the qualities of the original King's Quest titles. The visuals are stunning and if the gameplay is half as good, this will be an unmissable piece of freeware.



There's a trailer on Google Video, as well as a making-of.



The bad news, it's Windows only. And my laptop is too crap to run it.



I did try to talk them into open sourcing the engine a while back, but it fell on deaf ears. That is, "We don't want people to steal or ruin our game!" deaf ears. Ignorance is bliss.



I would be interested to know how well it works with WINE or Cedega.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tested it especially for you :) but it seems that I like adventures :P

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=5604

Of course it works, why OpenGL based game should not ;)
Wine! The true open source project.

See ya, I like this site :>

Cellfisher said...

At least a thriving closed source project is better than a dead open source one. I guess some people like to be the only ones messing with their code/artwork and perhaps for some people it's a matter of getting all the credit and not just be one out of many contributers.

I fully sympathize with people like that as long as they are making progress. Once development stops or slow down though, I really hope that they will release the source and let others continue their work.

Anonymous said...

Correct!, Thats why I use nVidia drivers - they work just great.

But if I wanna brag it doesn't matter if it's open source or not ("I done that in that project")

Provide feedback:

Due to SPAM issues we have disabled public commenting here.

But feel free to join our forums or easily chat via IRC with us.